Saturday, October 31, 2009

IVF is just around the corner!

We had our IVF consult appointment Thursday and it went really well (minus the almost CD3 bloodwork...which involved the needle coming out, blood dripping down my arm, and me vomiting up my lunch).  We are starting IVF in January!  And could not be more excited!  Especially since we've been told we will have about a 70-80% chance of success.  So our plan looks something like this:

CD3 Bloodwork (Take 2), infectious disease testing for both of us, antibiotics for both of us, measuring my uterus...all before IVF.
Lupron injections starting a week before my IVF cycle.
Menopur and Gonal-F injections for about 2 weeks. 
An HCG trigger shot.
Egg retrieval.
Expose half of the eggs to sperm to fertilize on their own.  Use ICSI for the rest (injecting a single sperm into a single egg).
Progesterone Oil injections.
Wait.  Monitor progress of embryos.
5 days after retrieval go back to transfer 1-2 of the "best" embryos (blastocysts at this stage). 
Freeze remaining embryos.
Wait.

I will try to post updates throughout the IVF process but will likely not post results right away.  So be patient with me folks.  This has been an emotional roller coaster and will continue to be for the next few months so I have to wait until I am comfortable and ready to share my news: good or bad.

I am feeling very hopeful.  The most hopeful I've felt in a very long time.

1 comment: