Saturday, May 22, 2010

Thankful

After struggling with infertility for 2 1/2 years, I am so thankful to be pregnant now. I know that if I had gotten pregnant right away, I would be happy. I would be excited. I would have fun feeling the baby move, shopping, getting the nursery together, etc. But I wouldn't have been as appreciative as I am. I had forgotten what it feels like to be truly happy. I had moments where I was happy. I wasn't miserable all the time. But there was ALWAYS something missing. There was always heartache hiding underneath it all. Not a single day goes by that I do not thank God for this miracle. When Caleb is moving, I just put my hand on my belly and smile. I am happy again. And happier than I have ever been in my entire life. I think about others that are still struggling with infertility and pray for them often. I know that that hurt is different from any other hurt. There have been many moments that have reminded me just how lucky I am to finally be where I am now.

This Mother's Day was so special for me. We started trying to get pregnant around Mother's Day 2007. So in 2007, my thoughts I'm sure circled around the fact that I would be a mom by the next Mother's Day. By May 2008, we were seeing an RE and I was most definitely not a mother yet. By May 2009, I had experienced a loss, been through lots of testing, a surgery, and 2 unsuccessful IUIs. Mother's Day was not easy. My friend Christina gave me a card and an infertility pin and it meant so much to me. I don't think that most people even think about those going through infertility on Mother's Day. We are after all, not mothers yet. But this Mother's Day was different. Finally. Three years after dreaming of becoming a Mama. We went to Chris' uncle's cabin in the mountains. I woke up warm and snugly and stared out at the amazing mountain view and felt Caleb kicking...reminding me that this Mother's Day was different. That although some may not consider me a Mother yet, I am. I felt so thankful that morning. Chris got me a Willow Tree figurine and the sweetest card with the sweetest note inside.

2 comments:

  1. You've always had the heart of a mother and I think you became a mother when you became such a fighter. You fought for Caleb, you never gave up on him. You are already an amazing mother, keeping him safe and warm inside your belly. :) He's going to be a lucky little guy.

    ReplyDelete